The best electric cars for camping and road trips
With more and more people exploring the UK for a staycation, for many this means finding a car that fits slightly different needs to what they need for day to day driving. While EVs are a popular choice for city commutes, you might be wondering if you can take your electric car for a longer journey, such as heading out into the countryside for a weekend away.
There are loads of EVs with versatility and long range that are great for road trips.. Here’s everything you need to know about taking an electric car on a camping trip, as well as a list of our favourite EVs for camping and road trips.
Can you take an electric car on a road trip?
Yes! You can absolutely take electric cars on road trips. And like any trip, planning your journey is key for making sure your journey is as stress-free as possible..There isn’t much difference for taking an electric car on a road trip but it’s good to be aware of what might be different.
Where to charge your car on a road trip
Many petrol stations now have rapid chargers which (as the name suggests) allow you to charge your car quickly. There may be fewer of them in rural areas but if you plan your trip with this in mind you can make sure you’re always charged up. Octopus Electroverse has a great map of loads of charging stations in the UK and Europe to help you plan this.. You can even use the integrated map within Electroverse to plan your journey via a charger!
Speed of public EV chargers
You can check the speed of public chargers with Electroverse. This will give you time to plan a quick coffee stop, or stay for lunch.
Do you need a long-range EV for a road trip?
There's a lot of chat over the range that electric vehicles can achieve, but most EVs will easily get you over 150 miles. So as long as you make use of the extensive public charging network it won’t be a worry.
Remember that in rural areas there may be fewer charging points but you’ll always find somewhere to charge your car if you plan ahead. More and more public car parks have electric charging points, as well as hotel car parks and other convenient stopping points. Perhaps surprisingly, Scotland has over 2,500+ chargers -incredibly accommodating for road trips. So don’t rule out that famous NC500 route in your EV!, You should never find yourself too far from somewhere to charge. So don't feel like you have to invest in a long-range EV in order to take a road trip in an electric car.
Which electric cars are the best for a road trip?
Here's our pick of the best electric cars for road trips:
- Vauxhall Corsa-e - The Corsa-e is significantly bigger than its petrol counterpart, giving it loads of room for your luggage.. The car is very responsive, making it a pleasure to drive, and you can fast-charge up to 80% in just half an hour, giving you just enough time to stop for a snack. . Plus, this is one of the more affordable EV’s at the moment.
- Tesla Model Y -The Tesla Model Y is a great pick if you love a road trip. Teslas are well known for their comfort which is perfect for long journeys. Plus, you'll have access to the Tesla Supercharger Network, which means even more fast charging points throughout the UK.
- Volkswagen ID.3 - The ID.3 is the electric equivalent of the Volkswagen Golf, being roughly the same size. While the ID.3 is a little bit smaller than some other EVs there’s still plenty of room for your bags. Being such a versatile car, you can explore everything from country lanes, to windy roads, to cruising down the motorway.
Which electric cars have the most room?
Maybe you're looking for the best cars with room for all your camping gear? Or maybe you need space for lots of kids, pets or luggage? In any case, you'll need a spacious car for your road trip. Here are our top picks:
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 - This hatchback SUV crossover has plenty of space, whether you need to store a lot of camping equipment or sleep in the back with the seats down.
- Tesla Model 3 - With the back seats out of the way you'll find plenty of space in the Model 3, even if you want to camp in the car.
- Jaguar I-Pace - As one of the larger electric vehicles out there, the I-Pace is a great choice if you need room. The rear seats fold flat for maximum space and there are multiple configurations you can choose from to fit the best combination of passengers and camping kit. Plus you'll benefit from four-wheel-drive if you're going offroad at all.
Finding the right EV for your road trips doesn't have to be difficult. With the great charging network across the UK, you'll find that most electric cars can handle whatever you throw at them. As long as you plan ahead and look at different sizes of cars to suit your needs, your trip will be hassle-free. Browse all our EVs to see what might work for your next adventure.