Mel's Electric Adventure in the Hyundai IONIQ 5
We’ve been lucky enough to take part in Mel’s Electric Adventure, a new podcast from Tortoise Media about the exciting world of EVs.
In each episode, one of our EV Specialists takes a drive with actress, comedian, TV presenter and national treasure Mel Giedroyc, and Tortoise Media’s World Affairs Editor, Giles Whittell.
In episode 3, “Nineties Nightclub", you’ll hear Mel, Giles, and our EV Specialist, Sam Steele, carpooling in a Hyundai IONIQ 5 - one of the most eye-catching electric cars out there.
Tune in to this episode to hear Mel’s first drive in the IONIQ 5, which Mel nostalgically describes as a “nineties nightclub” and Giles compares it to the flight deck of a jumbo jet.
Highlights from the episode:
- The front seats are highly adjustable and can be fully reclined, just like a business class bed. Perfect for relaxing and taking a break while charging.
- To charge the Hyundai IONIQ 5 on an ultra rapid Ionity charging unit from 20% to 80% would cost roughly £30 and take around 30 minutes. That would give you a range of around 250 miles.
- The Hyundai IONIQ 5 accelerates 0-62mph in just 5.1 seconds - giving a really sporty feel.
- Regenerative braking is a feature of most EVs that captures the kinetic energy from braking and uses it to recharge the battery. It recaptures energy that would otherwise be lost as heat, stores it in the battery, and gives you a range boost.
- In 2018, Elon Musk’s personal Tesla Roadster was launched into space.
- The Hyundai IONIQ 5 costs from £43,000 to buy outright.
Click here to listen to this episode in your podcast app.
Photo credit: Paul Stuart for Tortoise