Mel’s Electric Adventure in a BMW i4 M50
Mel's Electric Adventure is a podcast about the electric revolution from Tortoise Media. Each episode features an exciting new electric vehicle and guidance from Octopus Electric Vehicles.
Each week, one of our EV Specialists takes a drive with actress, comedian, TV presenter, and national treasure Mel Giedroyc and Tortoise Media’s World Affairs Editor, Giles Whittell.
In episode 7, “It’s all about Enid", you’ll hear Mel, Giles, and our EV Specialist, Sam Steele, carpooling in a BMW i4 M50 - the sporty, electrified version of a BMW 4 series.
Tune in to this episode to hear Mel’s first drive in the i4 and hear the gang discuss how eco-friendly EVs are. They’re joined by Enid, a local who’s described as the street's resident philosopher, who asks some interesting questions about the carbon footprint of producing new cars and the recyclability of batteries.
Highlights from the episode:
- The BMW i4 is a top end sports car that retails from £69,000.
- The M50 is the fastest version of the i4 which does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. It’s quicker than the Genesis GV70, but not as quick as the Audi e-Tron.
- Production of EV batteries can be resource intensive, but there are lots of companies who are working on new methods of production to make the whole process more eco-friendly.
- Manufacturers are also looking at what they can do with EV batteries at the end of their useful life, and reconditioning them to go back into other cars in time.
- Once mined, the minerals and elements used in electric batteries remain intact and can be recycled after they’ve been used.
- When it’s cold outside, EV range is usually impacted. It’s also slower to charge a battery in the cold, but there are some things you can do to help boost EV range in the colder months.
Listen to this episode in your podcast app.
Photo credit: Paul Stuart for Tortoise