Best electric cars for families
If you're in the market for a new family car, you may be wondering if an EV is right for you. The good news is that many electric car models are roomy on the inside and have plenty of cargo space too, making them great for running errands or going on road trips with the whole family.
Let's explore some of the top electric vehicles and how they can benefit your family, so you can decide which one's right for you and your clan.
Best 5-seater electric cars for families
5-seater electric cars are really great for families. They provide plenty of space for everyone to be comfortable, and loads of room for storage. No need to choose one toy for the ride, the whole plushie family can fit!
Here are some of the best family-sized EVs on the market:
- Volkswagen ID.4: This medium-sized SUV is also perfect for families. It has a whopping 543 litres of boot space, as well as a range of up to 320 miles, perfect for those long drives into the sunset. There are three ISOFIX points for fitting child seats and the minimalist and open interior is filled with technology, which makes it a great choice for families who love gadgets.
- Hyundai IONIQ 5: This electric SUV has a stylish interior and plenty of space for passengers and cargo. It already has several awards under its belt, including World Car of the Year 2022. It has quickly won a lot of fans with its space-age-yet-retro appearance. The IONIQ 5 has a range of up to 298 miles and you can pick from rear- or four-wheel-drive models. The huge 527 litres of boot space (with the seats up) provides plenty of room for all your family's things.
- Kia EV6: The EV61 is a stylish SUV that's perfect for families. It has a lot of room inside and a sizable 490 litres of boot space, with a range of up to 328 miles. The 77.6kWh battery is built on an all-new platform with 800V fast-charging technology. It can be charged from 10 to 80% in 18 minutes, making it great for long road trips. If you love a good family camping trip, the Kia EV6 also has a 1,600kg towing capacity — perfect for taking a small caravan or trailer.
Best affordable electric cars for families
Not everyone is looking for a top-of-the-line electric car, and there are plenty of affordable electric cars available that are still great for families.
Here are some of the best budget-friendly EVs:
- Hyundai Kona Electric: If you're looking for an electric car that's both stylish and practical, the Hyundai Kona Electric is the one for you. With a range of around 245 miles on a single charge, it's perfect for long road trips or commuting. The interior is comfortable and open, with plenty of room for passengers and luggage. Plus, the Kona Electric comes with all the latest tech features, like wireless charging and a large touchscreen display.
- Citroen e-C4: The Citroën e-C4 is a hatchback for modern families. The electric motor provides instant torque, so the e-C4 is surprisingly nippy off the line. The hatchback body style has plenty of space for luggage or a pram and the high seating position gives you a great view of the road ahead. You can see everything you need for the drive while the kids enjoy the lovely view. The e-C4 can cover 165 miles in one charge and comes with many safety features, like autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning.
- Kia Nero EV: This is the perfect car for those who are looking for a low-cost and practical vehicle that's also environmentally friendly. With a range of over 200 miles on a single charge, the Kia Nero EV is ideal for city driving and can handle longer journeys with ease. It's a great option for families looking for cars at the more affordable end of the scale.
Best long-range electric family cars
If you’re like us and you love to be on the road, why not look at some long-range family cars? As always, we’re here to help with a few options:
- BMW iX3: The iX3 provides around 240 miles of range on a single charge. It can be charged from empty to 80% in just 34 minutes using a fast charger, or from 0 to 100% in under 10 hours using a home charger. The iX3 is also equipped with impressive tech features like BMW's iDrive infotainment system, adaptive cruise control, and a heads-up display. No more boring car rides!
- Audi Q4 e-tron: This electric SUV, is big on style and packed with the latest tech. It has a sleek, sporty design that's sure to turn heads and comes packed with features like an advanced infotainment system and top-of-the-line sound system. It will definitely keep kids entertained. It also has a roomy interior with plenty of space for five adults, plus a large cargo area. Best of all, it has a range of up to 250 miles on a single charge. Whether you're looking for an eco-friendly daily driver or a great weekend getaway car, the Audi Q4 e-tron is sure to exceed your expectations.
Electric family car lease
If you're thinking about leasing an electric car for your family, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, think about the size of your family and what type of EV you need. Then, look at the different lease deals available and compare them based on price, mileage, and other features.
Our ultimate EV package, which includes a personal contract hire agreement and so much more, is a great alternative for families if your employer doesn't offer our EV salary sacrifice scheme. Servicing, maintenance, repairs, spare tyres and even breakdown assistance comes part of the monthly cost - great to keep to the family budget. You even get a free charger and 4,000 miles of charge with Intelligent Octopus Go to charge your car when it’s cheapest and greenest.
When you're ready to switch, check out our electric cars to find the perfect EV for your needs and budget. Still having a hard time trying to decide what to go for? Our experts will be more than happy to help you, so contact us with your questions anytime.