BYD DOLPHIN charging offer
Order one of our secured supply BYD DOLPHINs by the end of December 2023 and you’ll get free home charging for this vehicle for the duration of your agreement if you switch to Intelligent Octopus Go once it’s been delivered. This offer only applies to people able to charge from home, and replaces the standard 4,000 miles of free charging we offer.
How does it work?
Credit will be applied to your Octopus Energy account on a monthly basis to cover the cost of your charging for the following month. It is assumed that you will only charge your car at home during the Intelligent Octopus Go off-peak window (this is currently from 23:30-5.30) or during the times that we start smart charging your car at this off-peak rate. Credit to your account will reflect the cost of charging during the off-peak/smart charging period only. These requirements help us make sure your EV is charging when energy is the cleanest and least expensive while making sure your car is always charged and ready when you need it.
How do you calculate the charging costs?
First, we calculate the car's efficiency by dividing the usable battery size by the ‘real world' range. ‘Real world range’ is taken from EV Database, and combines the predicted range of an EV in cold weather with the predicted range of an EV driving in warm weather. For cold weather, this assumes it's -10 degrees celsius with heating on. For warmer weather, it's based on 23 degrees celsius and there's no A/C on. Predicting exact range is tricky, and range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather conditions and route condition.
The BYD DOLPHIN (Comfort & Design variants)efficiency takes a usable battery size of 60.5 (kWh), and then divides it by a real world range of 210 (miles). That equals 0.288 kWh/mile
We then multiply this by your annual mileage and by the off-peak Intelligent Octopus Go window rate.
Example for BYD DOLPHIN
- If you choose a 10,000 miles/year agreement then this will be calculated as follows:
- 0.288 (Car's energy efficiency) * 10,000 (contracted miles/year) = 2,880
- 2,880 * 7.5p (price of energy per kWh) = £216 (charging costs per year)
- £216/12 = £18 (charging cost per month)
This is subject to:
- The initial lease agreement
- Length, maximum of 4 years
- Miles per year, maximum of 20,000 miles
- Extensions of the initial lease will not apply
- So you know, you can switch energy provider or tariff at anytime during your lease. Free home charging credit payments will cease if you are no longer an Octopus Energy customer on the Intelligent Octopus Go Tariff
- Free home charging credit payments will cease at the end of your lease, or if you terminate the lease contract early.
- Leasing from Octopus EV an eligible vehicle or install an eligible home EV charger. We will make available to you information about which vehicles and EV chargers are eligible before you select your lease.
- You will only be paid during the time that you’re on the Intelligent Octopus Go tariff and are able to charge at home - i.e. have a compatible home charger or car for the tariff
- We will only start providing you with the free home charging credit once you have switched to this tariff and are live (any period before this will not be backdated)
- Please note that switching to this tariff and/or getting a charger installed may take some time, and will depend on whether you are already an Octopus Energy customer, and whether you already have a smart meter installed
- Smart meter installs are not under our control, and if for any reason you are not able to have one installed and therefore are not able to switch to this tariff, we will instead provide you with a one off complimentary credit of £500 on the Electroverse network.
- Please note that this would not constitute as a reason to cancel your order free of charge, or return the car without penalty if you have already taken delivery of it
- This offer only applies to home charging through the Intelligent Octopus Go tariff, and therefore does not carry over to any other type of charging, such as public charging on the Electroverse or otherwise
- Name and address on the lease and energy account must be the same, or you must be able to prove that you cohabit
- We reserve the right to remove this offer at any time
- This offer is not transferable and no cash equivalent will be offered
- Subject to availability and eligibility. See our charging terms and conditions here for further details, including terms around free home charging installation for standard installs